- Analytical chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Bioorganic chemistry
- Molecular technology
- Organic chemistry
Department of Chemistry and Biology
Division of Chemistry
History of the Department of ChemistryIn 1918, an Estonian-based engineering school was founded. Next year, the school became Tallinn College of Engineering, in which it was also started to teach chemistry and chemical engineering. In 1923 at this school, a State Laboratory of Materials Testing was opened for research work with great emphasis put on the local oil shale chemistry.
In 1936, the school was granted the status of University and named Tallinn Technical Institute, later named as Tallinn Technical University and, during the Soviet period, Tallinn Polytechnical Institute.
So, teaching of chemistry as well as chemical engineering dates back to 1919, and at university level to 1936.
After restoration of Estonian independence in 1991, a reform of universities and research institutions was undertaken. The academic structure of the Tallinn University of Technology (TUT) was reorganised in 1992. That year has been recognised as the founding year of the Department of Chemistry.
In 1998-2002 the department was called as Department of Basic and Applied Chemistry.
In order to improve the quality of education and to face the challenges of Estonian new social and economic needs, some structural changes were implemented at TUT. Since 2002, chemical engineering and material sciences have belonged to the competence of the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Technology. Basic chemical disciplines, such as inorganic, analytical, organic, and biochemistry, and biotechnology belong to the competence of the Department of Chemistry of the Faculty of Science. In the same year, a substantial portion of the research potential of the Institute of Chemistry (1947-2002, founded under Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR) was integrated into the Department of Chemistry. As the result, the structure and main research areas of present-day Department of Chemistry have been formed.
At present, the Department of Chemistry is organised into six chairs, engaged in teaching at the Bachelor, Master and Doctoral level providing excellent knowledge and professional skills based on contemporary scientific and research achievements.